OK, a little later than promised, but here is what I have been doing with the water and forest terrain pieces I left off with last time. I had to let these season just a little bit and get the materials I wanted to use. I left off with the forest pieces at a real easy spot- I had cut them out, shaped them and gave them a once over with some green camouflage spray paint. I wanted to make these a little different, so I added dirt flock first, followed by dark green static grass. This becomes the part where I start feeling a little like Bob Ross (the “happy trees” painter). These are my forests, so the dirt will live where I want it to, and the grass will go on around it.
Dirt flock on a 6" x 8" forest.
Dark Green static grass, 6" x 8" forest
I left off here to let the glue dry and set the static grass. I will add undergrowth for the next step and then lay on a coat of Matte Varnish to help protect the pieces. Remember, there are 4 each of these, 4″x6″ and 6″x8″. I am only showing one for ease of demonstration. The end result will look something like this:
Where the forest pieces were easy, the water terrain pieces have become a little more labor intensive. Of course, this is all personal choice, and I am trying to deliver a quality product to the client.
After letting the paint dry, I ran a bead of tacky glue around the edges of the water feature that I had painted brown, and where I wanted my little islands to be.
I then put down a layer of basing material for my dirt. Since I am using railroad modeler’s water effect, I need something to keep the water in and on the piece.
4 water terrain pieces, basing material glued in place
After the basing material dries, I am ready to add bigger rocks, flock, and static grass, pretty much in that order.
bigger rocks added
rocks and flock
... and finally static grass.
After everything had dried, I threw 2 coats of matte varnish on the water pieces. “Why?” you may ask, well, after laying down the water effect the last time I did this, I shot 2 coats of matte varnish and a coat of Dullcote and completely ruined the water effect. Even gloss varnish didn’t help. Those were the ones I donated to the LGS’ terrain stock, and I wanted to see what I could do for fairly cheap.
OK, back to work. I let the pieces dry in the warm sun ( I am glad summer is close), so they were good and dry. I should stress that working with the “water” should be done in a well ventilated area, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Here comes the tricky part...
The “water” is almost like glue, but pours pretty quick. I very carefully poured a small amount all around the piece, making sure not to get on the basing material, and hopefully not getting too much on the piece. I rotated and flipped the pieces around to get good coverage, and filled in where needed with a toothpick. This stuff will shred a paintbrush, and the toothpicks were more accurate for what I needed. The end result of this step looks something like this:
after water effect, I had to get the light in there as a reflection.
The only thing left to do is to let the water terrain pieces sit for 24 hours for the effect to set up.
As far as the forests go, I have some rocks and undergrowth to get down and I will be able to seal them. Since my client is a Circle player, I am going to make one of the bigger forests up to fit his faction. A fire ring and autumn flock are on the agenda for that piece.
I will post completed pictures either Tuesday or Wednesday, I am looking to deliver the pieces Wednesday.
Thanks for checking in-